Thursday, April 9, 2009

Right Wing Radicals

I have been down with a rotten cold for the past week. It's one of those hacker, cougher, dose dripper, sinus headacher, bone acher...you get the drift. Consequentley, I have not blogged even when I had something to say. A 'friend' of mine [the ' 's are saying, he's really not a friend] sends me egregious emails about the present President of the United States. Everything from Obama is not a citizen to Obama's mother was a street whore. Needless to say, I hate these missives and usually I just delete them without reading too far. However, there are times I lose it. Unlike my son Radical Russ Belville, I am not a political animal. I like whom I like and that's usually the end of it. What is different is the crap that can be thrown out via the internet. These emails are nothing less than assaults. Some of them are so offensive they are just short of traitorous. In any other country the writer would be imprisoned for such balderdash. Lucky for these individuals, this is a democracy and you are guaranteed certain rights and one of those rights is free speech. But 'free' speech should come with some responsibility. If I tell you that I don't appreciate your 'free' speech and wish that you would shut up, this should be done without fanfare or a fight. I did this. I told the guy not to send me any more of this Obama-istic crapola and guess what? I was agog when I saw my email box again filled with the same crapola the very next day. What does one do? Other than being a rabid right winger, this guy is okay. As long as we stay away from politics, he's a gem and I like him...a lot. So what do I do? Well, what I did was send him another email tearing down Bush and Cheney in the most egregious way. I did my research. I found all the foibles Bush and Cheney were guilty of, citing dates, times and in depth what the foible was. Some of the foibles were even illegal [Homeland Security stuff]. Some were unethical [firing all those DA's]. I slammed those boyos from hell to eternity and used the same language my friend uses to put down Obama. Guess what? You got it. He replied by telling me that Obama is a Muslim Jihadist and the Anti-Christ all rolled up in one. I give up!! Hello Delete Key, my old friend.

2 comments:

Carrie Hutchings said...

Oh boy, luckily when I've asked people to stop sending me those rediculous emails the people had enough respect for me to stop. I love that you sent him that email about Bush/Cheney.

Scott Cornwall said...

Hey Unca B.

It's interesting to me what people are willing to do online that they would never even think about doing face to face. Everyone has an opinion, but usually (there are exceptions) when you talk face to face, you don't totally try to annihilate people with your words. Yes, you discuss, you may even disagree, but usually it doesn't fall out like what happens on the web and email. It also bothers me that people get stuff online and automatically assume (you know what happens when we assume) that everything about it is true. So, then it gets absorbed as truth into the persons brain and gets sent on to other unaware victims. This happens on both the conservative and liberal sides. But it probably only gets our ire up when it comes from the side we disagree with most.

I'm beginning to read a book called "The Myth of a Christian Nation" by Gregory A. Boyd. I'm only on chapter two so far, but it might be something you are interested in. I'm not sure I agree with every little thing the author is saying, but he is making me think, which is always good.